These days, a student requires more than just rote learning to excel in Maths. At S.A.M, we focus on skills such as critical thinking, heuristics, logical reasoning, metacognitive understanding, modelling techniques and situational word problems, amongst others. Collectively, we term this as a holistic approach to learning mathematics. (See below for further information)
Throughout our program, from the way trainers engage students in the classroom, to the way questions are phrased and how solutions are presented in our Worksheets, we adopt this holistic approach. By the end of our program, S.A.M students will be well equipped with an array of skills to confidently embrace future challenges in the world of numbers.
Problem Solving/Thinking Skills
- Critical Thinking
- When faced with a problem, a child should be able to dissect, differentiate and categorize it to make a decision on how to solve it.
- They also should be capable of looking deeper into a problem in order to arrive at the solution.
- Learning from the experiences of the past, the child will be able to use the skills he/she has learned to apply it to solve a question.
- Involves higher order thinking skills.
4 + 6 = 10
4 + _____ = 10
What are Heuristics?
They are a set of problem solving tools to help a child solve a problem. There are 11 Heuristics applicable to
problem-solving in Primary School:
1. Act it out
2. Draw a diagram / model
3. Use guess-and-check
4. Make a systematic list
5. Look for patterns
6. Work backwards
7. Use before-after concept
8. Make suppositions
9. Restate the problem in another way
10. Simplify the problem
11. Solve part of the problem